top of page
  • Writer's pictureMartin Perelmuter

How to live and work in the U.S.

If you want to start a new path and enhance your opportunities in one of the most developed countries in the world, here we tell you what are the first three steps you should take if what you want is to live, work and do business in the United States. The team of lawyers at Abeckjerr Immigration Law, passionately led by American lawyer Michelle Abeckjerr Perelmuter, advised us to help you fulfill your dream

First Step: Connect with an Immigration Lawyer

It is essential to work with an immigration lawyer because only in this way does one obtain the peace of mind necessary to ensure the best possible representation. The lawyer will be able to guide you by making recommendations in the immigration process from start to finish.

Second step: Analyze options (visa types)

There are different types of visas available depending on what you are looking for and you can manage all of them at Abeckjerr Immigration Law. It will depend on whether you need a permanent residence or want to run a business for a defined period of time. Let's see here the different options that exist so that you can understand which one best suits your case.

B-1 B-2 (Tourist Visa): The B1 Visa is intended for temporary business trips, whether for negotiating contracts, attending exhibitions and conferences, short trainings, consulting with suppliers and clients, among other options. The B2 visa, on the other hand, is for tourist activities, such as shopping, visiting friends and relatives, visits for medical treatments, etc. The B1 and B2 visa is not valid for employment in the US.

O-1 (Visa for Persons with Special Talents): The O-1 is a non-immigrant category visa used by foreign artists, athletes, scientists, educators and business people who wish to work in their area of ​​activity and temporarily in the United States. To qualify in this category, the individual must demonstrate that he is recognized for his extraordinary abilities on a national or international level. Achievements must be proven with documentation. For example, applicants in the fields of science, education, business, or athletics must demonstrate "sustained national or international recognition" in their field. While applicants in the field of arts must prove “distinction” in their field. (Here is a link with more information)

E-2 (Investor Visa): The E2 Visa is an investor visa and is for those individuals who continuously import/export goods or services between the United States and their country of nationality. The staff of immigration lawyers at Abeckjerr Immigration Law has extensive experience processing this non-immigrant visa reserved for foreign entrepreneurs from countries that have made a Trade and Trade Agreement with the US and a “substantial investment” in a bona fide company. (Here is a link with more information)

EB-1A (Immigrant Visa): The EB-1A immigrant visa is reserved for those foreigners with extraordinary abilities, that is, people who have exceptional talent in areas such as sciences, arts, education, business or athleticism. To qualify in this category, one must demonstrate that one qualifies among a "small percentage of individuals who have risen to the top of their field" and that they intend to continue working in their area and that their experience would "benefit substantially” to the United States. No job offer is required for this visa.

EB-5 (Investor Visa): The EB-5 visa program allows foreign investors to obtain a Green Card and permanent residency. The qualifying investment leads to residency, that is, the investor living and working permanently in the United States with his or her spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21.

Residency for Relatives: If you are married to a U.S. citizen or are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, you may qualify to become a lawful permanent resident (obtain a Green Card) based on that relationship. You are an immediate family member if you are: • Married to a US citizen; • If you are the unmarried child under age 21 of a U.S. citizen; • Or if you are the parent of a US citizen. Being an “immediate relative” by law one can apply for residency immediately.

Labor Certification – A labor certification is the most commonly used employment-based opportunity to obtain a Green Card. It consists of a three-step process that requires certification from the Department of Labor and approval from US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Citizenship Application: Naturalization is a process in which a non-U.S. citizen voluntarily becomes a U.S. citizen. The process involves an application with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services followed by an in-person interview. By becoming a U.S. citizen, an individual will be protected by the United States and will have the right to vote, the right to run for elective office, the right to a fair and timely trial by jury, along with other benefits.

Third step: Apply!

Once the strategy, type of visa, and solution to your need is designed, it is time to apply for the visa. The response can take weeks, even years, depending on which visa you are applying for. An immigration attorney will be able to help you better understand what the wait times are.

If you are interested in starting an immigration process, you can contact Michelle Abeckjerr Esq. to make your first consultation. This meeting is essential to know your needs and be able to establish the best possible action plan to achieve your goal in record time.

Footnote: All information shared in this article is considered generic and not appropriate to be used as legal advice. Abeckjerr Immigration Law P.A. You are not creating an attorney-client relationship but rather providing general information for the note.

5 views0 comments


bottom of page